Welcome to Sheffield's Newest Forest School Nursery and Pre-school! For children aged 2 -5 years.
Based at the Stunning Site at Wood Lane Countryside Centre, we provide an incredible setting for deep, natural learning to take place, using the natural environment as the first tool.
Forest Schools is a unique way of promoting learning in children. It focuses on the child's needs rather than the child's ability, which makes it accessible to any child of any ability, language, race or ethnicity.
The beauty of nature is that it is a universal language and it can speak out to everybody and touch everyone in a unique way.
Forest Schools provides access to the outdoors, giving the opportunity to explore risks, challenge emotions and push personal boundaries. Forest School does this by providing unique experiences that children may not usually have access to.
Examples of key Benefits of Learning Outdoors:
- Being fully immersed in nature
- Observing wildlife, mini beasts and living creatures in their natural habitat
- Observing changes and rhythms in nature, for example seasons, weather and sounds
- Enhancing physical ability through challenging surroundings, for example climbing over obstructions, uneven terrain, tree climbing etc.
- Being exposed to natural elements, promoting resilience, stamina and understanding of own personal needs.
- Getting close to nature, gaining understanding of life cycles, habitats, species of animals, plants and trees.
- Providing space to explore and encourage imaginative play, enhancing language and social skills. - Developing a community of respect, for the environment, the world and each other.
- Providing opportunities to practice new skills, such as using tools, manipulating natural materials, and developing ‘life skills’ that they continue to grow and enhance throughout childhood. - Providing ‘risk’ play, giving children the opportunity to assess their own learning and experiences.
Our 20 placed nursery offers places to children aged 2-5 years. Set on the beautiful grounds of Wood Lane Countryside Centre, with fantastic facilities such as Pond, beehives, fire circle and much more. Our site is located in walking distance from Loxley Valley and Rivelin Valley, meaning we can visit the woodland areas each day with our children.
Our Nursery is based mainly outdoors, with access to our 5m Bell tents with log burning stoves, and also access to the main building at Wood Lane. We currently have plans to expand our indoor space, with a Log cabin eco hub, which will be complete with Solar Panels and Composting Toilet. This will act as our base for our nursery children, especially during the tough winter months.
Using the Forest School Approach as our preferred learning approach, we aim to provide a high-quality learning experience, using the natural environment and the world around us to guide, aid and spark learning.
All of our staff are trained to Level 3 in Childcare or higher and hold or undergoing a Forest School Leader Qualification. We are proud to support our staff with their careers in early years, providing opportunities for further development through training days, and contributing to their learning through relevant courses. It is important that staff are not only paediatric first aid trained, but also Forest School First Aid Trained.
Our Nursery runs its main session from 9am-4pm, however there is the option to extend these hours. We are open Monday - Friday 50 weeks of the year. Our sessions are listed below.
Full Day Session - 9am-4pm
Extended Day Session - 8am-5pm
Morning session - 9am-12pm
Afternoon Session 1pm-4pm
Breakfast Club - 8am-9am
Afternoon Tea Club - 4pm-5pm
Please email our team for a price list.
We understand that the separation between parent and child can be quite stressful. With over 20 years’ experience combined, our staff team will work with you to ensure this process is as smooth as possible.
Our settling in sessions have no limits and can be organised between yourselves and your key person.
We also understand that this experience is just as hard for parents and carers as it is for children. We aim to support you as much as possible and give you the fullest confidence that your child is in the right hands. Please speak to a member of staff to see how we can cater to your child’s needs.
We love our families, so feel free to book a visit to see us!
Wood Lane Countryside Centre, Stannington, Sheffield, England S6 5JG, United Kingdom